On September 17, 2019, I wrote a post titled “Something to Look Forward To” in which I started talking about my trip to Russia, which took place a few weeks later (more here). Today, on September 17, 2020, I am again, considering all of the things that I have to look forward to. A year ago, the world was “normal” and the only thing I had to be concerned about travel-wise was whether I would receive my visa to Russia on-time. My, how times have changed! Today, traveling outside of one’s own home has its risks and venturing across state lines can mean quarantine or testing on-site. While I’m not planning on going abroad anytime soon, there are still plenty of nice things to look forward to just around the corner.
- Today is Constitution Day! If you are at a loss for how to celebrate, check out this tangentially-related, kid-friendly, American-history-class-nostalgia-inducing classic from School House Rock here 😉
- Tomorrow is Friday! Bonus fun fact: “Friday” comes from an Old English word meaning the day of “Frigg,” the Germanic word for the Roman goddess we know as “Venus.” Venus is the goddess of love, beauty, many other things, and also victory. May your Fridays always be victorious above all else.
- Unmarried Single Americans Week falls in September! This week was started in Ohio in the 1980s to celebrate the accomplishments of all you singletons out there. Keep up the good work; we appreciate all that you do for society!
- September 22nd is the first day of autumn! A new beginning 😀
- September 29th is National Coffee Day! But don’t let your celebration end with your morning cup; better order coffee-flavored ice cream and other treats in advance.
October (in New England) to me is basically a holiday and here’s why:
- The leaves change colors
- October 3rd is Mean Girl’s Day (and also German Unity Day — which has a teensy bit more historical significance)
- Salem, MA transforms into a “Halloweentown” (more here)
- October 9th — Celebrate Leif Erikson Day with this Nickelodeon classic
- Columbus Day/ Indigenous People’s Day means a day off work/ school (and a long weekend 😀 )
- Emergency Nurses Day falls on October 14th, 2020 (always on the second Wednesday in October) — Be sure to thank them for all that they do!! (and while you’re at it, you may as well thank the doctors, EMTs, orderlies, and absolute everyone else doing their part to rein in the pandemic).
- Have you heard of Sweetest Day? If you’re not from Ohio, maybe not. Sweetest Day falls on October 17th, 2020 (always on the third Saturday of October). You celebrate Sweetest Day by bringing happiness to those close to you by giving small gifts or candy (and no, it is not a second Valentine’s Day; read more about Sweetest Day here).
- It’s the perfect time to carve pumpkins
- ¡¡HALLOWEEN!! Even if you don’t leave the house this year, I hope you will enjoy candy, wear a costume, and watch Halloween classics on TV (out of respect for this day of celebration 😉 )
If you keep your eyes peeled and your heart open, there are always plenty of things to look forward to.
Wishing you happiness today, tomorrow, and beyond.